Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hoonah's Economic Development Plan

For the past couple of years the city of Hoonah has been working on building this boat haul out. I believe they are in what they are calling Phase III now, anyway, it will be completed by July if all goes well. You can really see it coming together now. When completed big, I mean BIG boats will be able to be taken out of the water to have work done on them. This is supposed to be one of the biggest haul outs in Southeast Alaska besides Ketchican. The town is hoping this will bring not only big boats in here for work, but people to move here to work on them, and thus stimulate the economy of Hoonah. I guess only time will tell on that one.
This looks so huge without a boat in it, I can't wait to see it when it's holding a boat!
This is the dock they are working on finishing up now. I think these pilings will last a lot longer then the wood ones!

1 comment:

Jumpa said...

I think this big old boat hoist could barly hold my belly! Winters layer of fat now needs to go. I feel like a sea lion on the rocks burping herring with a beer back. smiles lins